Rape in the Trobrian Islands Yam Festival
I don't know but I've been told that in the Trobrian Islands off the coast of Papua New Guinea, the women rape the men, during the yam festival.
The primary food of the Trobrian Islanders is yams. A yam is shaped like a male penis and during the annual yam festival gangs of girls will grab a man, drag him off and rape him. This poses such a danger to the male population that men commonly walk in groups of two or three to protect themselves.
Trobrian Islands Girl
At first I did not believe this story, but there is enough evidence for it to merit further investigation.
For example, one Australian man reported that he had been raped twice by gangs of Trobrian girls. It was a terrifying experience when it first happened but, after he got used to it, it was not so bad after all, he said.
Naturally you will want to investigate this for anthropological research purposes of course, but the Trobrian Islands, also spelled Trobriand, are not easy to reach. The Trobrian Islands are located off the eastern tip of Papua New Guinea and south of the Island of New Britain.
The Yam Festival only happens once a year, in August, so be sure not to go there at that time or this cruel fate could befall you too!
Two major factors which may contribute to this are that the yams which the Trobrian Islanders eat contain natural hormones which prevent child conception. Therefore, Trobrian girls almost never get pregnant during the Yam Festival. The Trobrian Islanders are so primitive that they do not even realize that sexual intercourse leads to conception and child birth. They are among the many primitive tribes who are not aware of the link between sex and babies being born.
Here is a picture of a typical Trobrian Islander girl. I am sure that you will agree that it would be a horrible experience to be raped by such a girl.
Here are links:
My Home PageContact address - please send e-mail to the following address: Sloan@ishipress.com
- Culture Shock: "The women lie in wait in the bushes. They jump out on a man when he goes to work in the gardens."
- "The Trobrian Islands (known as Trobes) the scene of many a yam festival - when the young girls rape the men and chew off their eyelashes to demonstrate the fact."
- Melanesian Mythology Papua New Guinea
- TROBRIAND ISLANDS MAGIC
- Indigenous peoples of the Trobriand Islands off New Guinea.
- Photos from the Trobriand Islands
- Afiyat - A Beautiful Kalash Girl
- The Kalash of Jinjoret Kuh
- Rustam, a Kalash man from Birir, in Abu Dhabi
- Abdul Khaliq, a Kalash man
- Kalasha vocabulary and possible relation with Greek
- Khalilullah Nuristani
- Alexander the Great and the Kalash
- A Month in Chitral, by Algernon Durand
- His Various Schemes, by Surgeon Major George Robertson
- A Short History of Chitral and Kafirstan
- Over the Hindu Kush, through Chitral, Gilgit, Hunza and Swat
- The Tribal System in Pakistan
- The Trobrian Islands Girls
- Reward for Sam Sloan
- "A precious document handed down from Genghis Khan"
- "If I had been Sam Sloan that he would have arrested me on the spot"
- "While referring to me primarily as Asadulla Khan, my other name is CuChullaine O'Reilly."
- The Long Ride to Bumboret
- An Introduction to the Kalasha People in Chitral
- Chitral: Kingdom or Princely State?
- Children of the Kalash Valleys
- Richard Strand's Nuristan site: The Kalasha of Kalashüm
- The Kafirs of the Hindu-Kush (Oxford in Asia Historical Reprints) by Sir George Robertson
- The Gilgit Game : The Explorers of the Western Himalyas 1865-95 by John Keay
- The Religions of the Hindukush : The Religion of the Kafirs : The Pre-Islamic Heritage of Afghan Nuristan by Karl Jettmar
- Chitral : the story of a minor siege by George Scott Robertson
- Much sounding of bugles : the siege of Chitral, 1895
- The Story of the Malakand Field Force: An Episode of Frontier War by Winston S. Churchill
- The Man Who Would Be King (1975) Starring: Sean Connery, Michael Caine
- Tameez Ahmad, letter about Chitral
- Map of How to get to the House of Honzagool