Here is Where I Live in San Francisco
The Bourn Mansion was built by the richest man in San Francisco and is right at the highest point in Pacific Heights, at 2550 Webster Street.
Contrary to widespread belief, the Bourn Mansion is not a haunted house.
William Bourn, (1857-1936) who built the Bourn Mansion in 1896, was the richest man in California and perhaps one of the richest in the world. He made his money in the aftermath of the California Gold Rush. He was on his way to England to study when he heard that his father had died. He turned back and took over his father's business. He never made it to England. Instead, he built up what eventually became Pacific Gas and Electric ("PG&E") and he owned the Spring Valley Water Company which provided the water to San Francisco.
The Bourn Mansion in San Francisco
The Bourn Mansion at 2550 Webster Street in San Francisco was one of several grandiose projects of Mr. Bourn. It was designed by Willis Polk, a famous architect. It sits at the highest point in Pacific Heights, which is the most exclusive area of San Francisco.
An episode of the popular TV series "Streets of San Francisco" was filmed inside the Bourn Mansion. A porn movie entitled "The Vixen" by Swedish Erotica was also filmed there.
The Bourn Mansion has fallen into hard times lately. As a result, Sam Sloan now lives there.
Background Music is from "Tales From the Crypt".
UPDATE: According to a recent book, the correct spelling is Bourn rather than Bourne.
Here are links:
My Home PageContact address - please send e-mail to the following address: Sloan@ishipress.com
- The Fortress on the Hill - SF Weekly
- Rebuttal to "The Fortress on the Hill"
- My Living Room
- The Bourn Mansion, where I live in San Francisco:
- Willis Polk, William Bowers Bourn II and the Bourn Mansion in San Francisco
- Haunted Houses in San Francisco
- Filoli, a very similar but newer mansion by Willis Polk
- Last Bonanza Kings : The Bourns of San Francisco
- Willis Polk website
- Parties in San Francisco.
- Dr. Badgley wins in Court.
- Dr. Badgley's Bankruptcy
- Persian Silver Chinchilla Kittens for Sale
- More about the Bourn Mansion
- Rich vs. Smith
- Letter to Judge Smith
- Under House Arrest at Age 90
- Suit by Doris M. Rich
- Doris TRO
- Petition for Rehearing
- Complaint to the State Bar
- Complaint to the Grand Jury
- Answer to Report of Beth Rhea
- Opening Brief
- Petition for Review
- Letter to Robert K. Bolt
- Letter to John D. O'Hara
- Letter to Judge Mike Nail
- Letter about a new drug, Fosamax, needed by Doris M. Rich
- Second Letter about Fosamax,
- Letter to James A. Moore,
- Letter to Tosh G. Yamamoto,
- Letter to Dr. Martin Blinder,
- Letter to Albert M. Lavezzo,
- Second Letter to Albert M. Lavezzo,
- Third Letter to Albert M. Lavezzo,
- Sixth Letter to Robert K. Bolt.
- Wanted for Kidnapping
- President Clinton vs. Thomas Jefferson
- The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson
- Order "The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson" from Amazon Books
- Order "The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson" from Barnes and Noble
- Movies cited on Sam Sloan's web sites
- Books cited on Sam Sloan's web sites